Thursday, February 2, 2012

Passion...

...so, I'm a day away from weighing in for 9 months lifetime.  The crazy thing is, I'm closer to a year at Lifetime than I've ever been before.  The feeling is amazing but it is so intimidating.  Come May, if I continue this journey for myself...I will be able to say that I've been at my goal weight for an entire year. 

Also, I'd like to point out that I am writing this post from my laptop, which is 5 feet away...5 very short feet away...from 4 trays of Auntie Anne's cinnamon sugar pretzels.  If I am not the definition of will power right now...then we clearly are looking at the wrong dictionary.  It is taking every ounce of my strength to not get on my knees and have someone just pour an entire tray down my gullet.

But, I'm also not about to convince a bunch of college students that celery sticks and fresh blueberries are a better alternative for food at an event on a Thursday night.

So, I've been thinking a lot about passion recently.

For those of you who don't know, I work for Weight Watchers part time as a receptionist.  I've been wary about posting that information here, because I don't want anyone to think that any of this blog is me acting as a Weight Watchers staff member.  This is me talking as a member...

...so if you learn anything great from this blog, totally give credit to the company that has changed my life.  If I say something that makes you gain 50 pounds overnight, I take that responsibility on as a person and a member, NOT as a staff member.

But let's be honest, if I post pictures of me in a sugar coma, covered in Butterfinger wrappers...that's clearly not something you'd want to imitate.

Okay, okay...so back to passion.  The reason I've been thinking about it lately is because I was working meetings and member after member was getting on the scale, posting some pretty decent losses.  And whenever I saw them do their victory dance, I realized how passionate I had become about my own personal health...and how I was slowly developing a passion for helping others reach their weight loss goals.

To be frank, when you're the person who delivers the news about someone's weekly weight loss.  It's pretty scary.  But there are those members who want to TALK about what they did well and what they need to do better.  That is where I am slowly finding that I have a passion to help people on this journey.

And I actually had someone come up to me and say that I've helped them!!!  And she only wants to weigh in at my scale!!

THAT MEANS I HAVE ARRIVED!!!  You know you're a big deal at Weight Watchers if you have a scale groupie.  After weeks of being told "No thanks, I want to wait for Lisa"...
I have someone who wants to wait for me...
Now, we calibrate those babies all the time...but we all have our own weigh-in superstitions. 

Shoot, if I could, I'd weigh in naked...but no self-respecting woman should be subjected to such torture...and possible temporary blindness.

But...wait, I helped someone?!  It's a good feeling.  I guess I do have experience to share...and when people are looking to me for motivation and support, it motivates and supports me and keeps me going.  Hearing that I've helped a member achieve her goals makes me want to continue to keep my eye on the prize.

And am I tired after a morning that starts at 5:45?!?!  Absolutely.  But when you see people taking control of their lives, it invigorates something in me that I haven't felt for a long time...just a passion stirring that really thinks I could do something with this.

Also, I'll never be a fitness nut.  I will never have a 6 pack of abs. Crunches are evil.  (On a side note...Cardio Kickbox is STUPID!  So so so so STUPID!  I will never get that half hour of my life back.  It was soooo STUPID!  I wanted to tell the 45 year old instructor...who is pretending that she's still 25...to sit down and come back to the gym when she's serious about fitness.  Did I mention that Cardio Kickbox is STUPID?!)...but with this passion, I now have a DESIRE to go to the gym.

It's become such a big part of my life, that I couldn't imagine what I'd be doing with the time that I'd have if I didn't go to the gym.  So, now I have a passion for going to the gym...and trying new things...except Cardio Kickbox, because that class is STUPID!!!

I have also been thinking about the next step in my career.  Because I feel this passion for helping others succeed, maybe I need to look into leading Weight Watchers...and seeing if I can bring that passion full time.

Because at what point do we trade our passion for a paycheck?  At what point do we just say "This is silly, I don't want to do this anymore!" and try for something new???  Especially when I haven't felt this way about something in a while. 

I guess we'll see what the next few months bring.

On another note, I know I've been done a really poor job of updating on a regular basis.  But work has gotten busy...and throw in the fact that I'm working part time, I haven't had that much of a chance to update.  I also think of these GREAT topics...but it's a matter of actually sitting my ass down and putting those thoughts to the computer...

...and not backspacing the entire thing because I think what I typed was completely STUPID (ya know, like that cardio kickbox class...SO STUPID!)

But, I am hoping in the next week or two, I'll be able to post what WW Survival essentials that have helped me succeed...AND maybe, just maybe, I'll share my tracker.  But that would require me to have enough food in my house to actually plan my meals better.  Seriously, when you have $50.00 to last you to next paycheck, it's amazing what you can do with leftover cauliflower, couscous, and beans...

...and how much I can rely on Student Center Oranges and Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry to get me through the afternoon because I need to ration out milk and vegetables to last me the entire week.

So, happy tracking...and I hope you find your passion!

-e


No comments:

Post a Comment