Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My blog just got Rooked!

So, for those of you who know me, or have thoroughly enjoyed  my amazing and inspirational blog...You know my weigh-in day is Saturday.  Every Saturday, I wake up at 6:30 (yes, IN THE MORNING) to make it to my 7:30 Weight Watchers meeting.  Just imagine...a bleary-eyed Eric in ratty gym shorts (left in my apartment by a guy I was seeing...HIS LOSS)...and a ratty grey v-neck tee...slowly trudging his way across the parking lot to meet his fate.  Makes sense in the summer, but I wear the same damn thing during the winter.  Talk about shrinkage.

Now, there's also another part of my Saturday ritual that I need to come clean about it.  For the past few months, after weigh-in, I've gone to my favorite coffee roastery to indulge.  I'd stop in at the Rook and get my Big Guatemala with cream and sugar and a bagel flat with fig butter.


I am not being paid for this endorsement...
...although a free v-neck t-shirt would be cool.

 And I would track it. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  That's totally a lie.

See, I unfortunately, since I've been a Weight Watchers member, more often than not, I've treated my weigh-in day as a blackhole.  I'd eat whatever the hell I wanted...with no regard to its points plus value.  In fact, one of my most horrific blackholes involved a dinner at Houlihan's, a pint of Edy's Dreamery, and then a entire bottle of red Yellowtail.  I don't think the Redwood bathroom will ever be the same.

And let me tell you a little about the Rook before I bring it all together.  I love this place!  It is legitimately a small shed that sells damn good coffee.  The beans are roasted by the owners...they are grinded by the owners...and then you get it made nice and fresh by the staff when you order it.  And let me tell you a little thing about the staff.  They are friggin' AH-Mazing.

Actually, one day, their back curtain was open, and on one of the many chalkboards they have throughout, it had the rules to being a good Rook employee.  I remember 3...one, serve quality coffee (CHECK!)...two, have fun (CHECK!)...three, incredible customer service (CHECK!). 

I have started to look at the Saturday crew in Oakhurst as my post-weigh in buddies.  They ask how I'm doing...we're friends on Facebook...in fact, in a perfect world, I could work there with all those amazing people. 

Now, they have such amazing customer service, that these people all know me by name...However, You know it's bad that when you walk into the Rook on a Saturday and the people behind the counter rais their hands in triumph and announce "IT'S FAT DAY!"


So, after the strugfest of a month that was May...I made a decision recently that I was going to take ownership of my Lifetime membership and make more positive changes to make the journey a little easier on me...

...but I wasn't about to give up my bagel flat.  However, I knew that I needed to get rid of the fig butter...the oh so delicious fig butter...and my coffee order is now a regular with skim and Truvia. 

I mean, might as well mainline this stuff right into my veins -


My name is Eric...and I'm addicted to caffeine.


But...still...the bagel flat.  What to do?!

Well, I got the answer and inspiration of what to do from one of my favorite bloggers...BITCHAKES!!!!!!  A few weeks ago she blogged about how she had been guessing the Points Plus of a bagel for a few weeks but finally decided to weigh it to figure out the accurate Points Plus value.  Let's just say she was underestimating it...

...and I was worse.  I wasn't even underestimating it...I wasn't esti-anything.  I just wasn't tracking the damn thing and allowed it to dictate the rest of my Saturday.  "Oh, well, you didn't track your fig butter drenched bagel...or your fat in a cup...why start tracking the Medium Pepperoni Pizza or the cupcakes?!?!?!?!"  Yeah, seriously...this was my life.

And you think...well, it's a flatter bagel, so it MUST be less points.  That is ERRONEOUS logic.  It has all the density of a bagel, just...flatter...and more surface area, apparently.

So, this past Saturday...2 things happened that BLEW.MY.MIND!  First, I was told by one of Rook buddies that "I didn't need Weight Watchers because I was so thin."

Can we please talk about how awesome it is when someone else calls me thin?!  This is the second or third time this has happened in recent history, and I guess it's really starting to sink in.  I think for most people who have struggled with weight...it takes a long time for your self-image to catch up to your weight loss and fitness successes.

But...thanks Andrea for making me feel great.

(I also had to explain that although I am thin now, I need to make sure I stay that way...otherwise, they'd be rolling me through the Rook door every Saturday...and washing fig butter out of my fat folds with a rag on a stick)

And that was why I was getting my bagel flat plain...and I was going to take it home and weigh it so 1) I could enjoy it without guilt...and 2) I could track it accurately.

And...

...drumroll please...

...a Rook bagel flat is...

8 Points Plus!!!!  So, I toasted it, threw a wedge of Laughing Cow Cinnamon Cream Cheese on it...and enjoyed the heck out of it.  I can still enjoy one of my favorite things without any guilt...All I gotta do is just be accurate and honest...and write it down...

So, my Saturday Rook ritual will continue...and I won't feel any guilt about it because I'm being honest...I'm being accurate...and I'm tracking it. 

...and I haven't ordered a pepperoni pizza for myself in weeks!

Happy Tracking!

-e

2 comments:

  1. omg I love this post! What a difference being honest makes. For one thing, it wasn't even that high a P+ value but there is such a freedom that comes from being honest and tracking, right? Also, I know what you mean about the mental image catching up with the physical one. I'm not sure they are EVER in sync. And I agree with you, no matter how "thin" you are, if you have a history of poor eating/being overweight it doesn't matter. You likely need whatever structured plan (ie Weight Watchers) helped you get that under control. There is no cure, no matter what number we see on the scale. We aren't cured. I think other people in your situation understand that. People who maybe never had an issue with food or weight might not. Anyway, congrats to you. And I think you're super cute even if we don't agree on Ozzy being the greatest Survivor player ever (he totally is) XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh... and obvs.. thanks for the shoutout! I haven't had a bagel since. I opt for donuts now (post-run only, when I used to have bagels). Best part is they're only 8 or 9 P+ and I enjoy them a million times more than a bagel!

    ReplyDelete