Tuesday, October 20, 2015

A quick programming note...

Holy wow - 2 years since I joined Crossfit:SOAR - Beyond Your Limits!  That day, 45 pound clean and jerks were TOUGH.  Now, my 1 RM is 165.  How crazy is that?!?!?

So, just a quick note about how important positive self-talk is.  I've been in a bit of a funk lately - almost feeling like I was regressing.  For some WODs, I was putting RX to my name...and other WODs, I felt like halfway through, I was smoked and didn't want to finish.  Movements that I had (looking at you, Double Unders and Toes to Bar) are back to being really difficult.  I'm having some shoulder issues as well.

I just haven't been leaving the gym as motivated as I had been in the past.

Today's WOD (and yes, my ass got up for the 6 AM class...shout out, Coach Kim!) was 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Hang Power Snatches with 30 Double Unders between each set of snatches.

Advice from the Coach was that 90 Single Unders would be the best bet if you can't string Double Unders together...and as stated above, they seem to have gone missing for me...I was okay with the 90 Single Unders.

The RX weight for snatches was 95.  I did the WOD at 65.

When I was done, I could've gotten angry at myself and almost wanted to start telling everyone "I should've done 75."  When I had warmed up to 75, it just felt REALLY heavy.  Hindsight is indeed 20/20, and I recognized that 75 could've been an option.  Yes, I can hang snatch 95.  About to do it 55 times...not so much.

But, back to self talk...instead of beginning the vicious cycle of -

"I should've done 75."
"But then it would've taken me longer."
"I would've been last."
"Crossfit sucks and is stupid."
"I'm gonna quit and just get fat again."
"Next time, I'm gonna do 95 just to show that I can..."
"Oh man, 95 is really heavy.  I'm not going to finish this WOD."
"Crossfit sucks and is stupid."

Instead, I simply said to myself that "I did 65."  That was it...no but...or should've...

And it helps me realize how one word can change the rest of my feelings.  Changing "Should've" to "did" puts a different (and much more positive) spin on how the work out went.  There's no need for me to begin the vicious mental cycle that will tear at me for the entire day.

It's just interesting how much can change when we are kind to ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. Grew up in my house with the comment..."the word can't will not be said in this house". I too have fallen unto the shoulda, woulda, coulda...take every moment to put it out of my head as should you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was discussing this very thing w/ my wellness coach today. One of her 10 rules is to "lavish yourself with exquisite kindness" and I talked about how I am much happier without defaulting to "should" when making choices.

    ReplyDelete